“Once I put that [blonde] wig on, I didn’t say an intelligent thing for four months. My voice went up. I walked differently. I’d ask incredibly stupid questions.
You’d find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair,” said Anne reproachfully.
“People who haven’t red hair don’t know what trouble is.”
Anne to Marilla in Anne of Green Gables
“OH! & P.S. I went brunette. I feel smarter already,”
Ok, so we know we shouldn’t judge a book by its colour, but come on, we’ve all done it. We all feel a little intimidated when the busty blonde saunters by, but equally we feel that twang of superiority, safe in the knowledge that she must have some hideous character flaw. We all definitely think that Florence and Paloma must be feisty little minxes with their masses of tumbling red locks. And most brunettes (us included) will have wondered whether they’d be more fun and attractive as a blonde.
Throughout the ages people’s personalities have been presumed by the colour of their hair – artists have depicted red heads as emotionally unstable sirens blondes have become synonymous with sex and stupidity in equal measure and brunette actresses always play the serious, studious roles. Pamela Anderson was once quoted to say “it’s great being blonde, with such low expectations it’s easy to impress.”
Interestingly though hair colour isn’t just about perceived personality for some it actually gives them their identity.
A prime example is Elle Magazine’s Editor-In-Chief Lorraine Candy who recently went from being a blonde to a brunette and claimed “[As a brunette] I felt trapped in another woman’s personality and uncomfortable in my own skin – mild agoraphobia and a depressive sadness engulfed me. It made me question how we all define who we are based on our looks. I felt wrong. Itchy and allergic to the face staring back at me in the mirror. Blonde is most definitely a mindset.”
Here at Love Hair Colour we love all hair colours equally, but do agree that hair colour should be a way to express your personality – goodness knows if you’re shy and retiring – LIVE XXL’s Cosmic Blue probably isn’t the shade for you. So we’ve had a little fun and put together a little personality quiz to see test what your inner hair colour may be?
- What is your favourite time of day?
- Sunrise ‐ when it’s quiet and no one else is awake yet
- During the afternoon ‐ you would have woken up by then
- Evening ‐ you consider yourself a bit of a night owl
- You’re en route to an important event, but you manage to rip your dress in the car door. What do you do?
- Run to the nearest shop and pick up a new one, you always have to look your best.
- Ignore it and hope that no-one notices it
- Do a ‘Kate Moss’ and customize it into a short mini number
- What is your ideal way to keep trim?
- Yoga or Pilates
- A long, hard workout at your local gym
- You’re happy with the way you look
- What footwear would you wear on a first date?
- Flats so there is no danger of taking a tumble
- Heels to elongate your legs
- Boots for maximum sex appeal
- You’ve been dating your partner for 5 months. What gift do you expect from him for your birthday?
- A bunch of flowers, you should be grateful that he remembered
- A classic piece of jewellery
- This season’s handbag, anything less and it’s over!
Cool, classic and sophisticated ‐ your hair colour personality is Brunette.
People love your friendly, easy-going nature and know that they can always depend on you if they need a shoulder to cry on. Nobody does the sexy, sultry look better than brunettes so choose a rich hair colour that is full of shine to make the most of your tresses.
Outgoing, fun and a little bit flirty – your hair colour personality is Blonde.
We’ve all heard the classic saying that blondes have more fun and with your positive attitude it is easy to see why! Make sure you turn heads in 2010 with a radiant hair colour that will have women everywhere envious of your lustrous locks!
Fiery, confident and oozing sex appeal – your hair colour personality is Red.
2010 is the year of the Redhead as more and more women turn to hair dyes to get the flame-haired temptress look. Get ahead with a vibrant, intense hair colour that really makes you stand out from the crowd.
For more advice on choosing the right hair colour for you, stylist to the stars Anita Cox-McMillan has put together a great little video on how to choose hair colour.